Thursday, October 27, 2005

What is the thin line.

When do you say you are experienced and when you say you are learning??
When do you decide this city is new to me and when you say you have explored enough?
When do you say learned enough, time to move to next bigger role or there is so much to learn in here?

When do you say I should build on my career and should start building personal life my career is stable?

It is a VERY THIN LINE it is very individual, no one really knows in fact I don’t know about this myself.


Wish I never came out of college , Never had to think, there was clear set of rules and time set for each goal , 10 years in School , 2 years intermediate and than you choose degree . Life was so easy life moved on you never had to think...

Life worked on so simple logic.

If the score is good in Mathematics ... you choose Science in plus 2 by default to become Doctor or Engineer

You are NOT good in Mathematics than people will suggest. Commerce... if their is little faith in you... people would advise you take Commerse... and if you are really bad in Studies... than Arts, Home Science is the option ..

The above statement is true for 96 % of the people in India and the rest 4% are the people who start thinking early in life...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I belong to first part 96% of the people , I was quite good in Mathematics ... well thanks to my Mother ... she was always a great teacher .. Helped me do well in studies... well Kannada was the most difficult subject, and than Science and Mathematics was my favorite.

I choose to take Engineering early in life... (SSLC) took up Computer Science in place of Biology in my Pre-University, and than Mechanical Engineering.


Wannned to do get into CAD/CAM/CAE jobs, but that never happened... I waited for too long to get into my jobs CAD/CAM company, again there was this THIN line when to look for other options, I did NOT UNDERSTAND THIN line. Until it was too late.

Joined a small company... they promised me heaven when I joined them Datasoft, it was a US based company... and I was jobless. Easy prey... promising me lot many thinsg .. they won .. and got in .. It again took me year to realize... that it is not the right place for me ... did not KNOW when to say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH..... Here you are doing something you did not want to like marketing the software hoping that they would offer me a software job.

Until I met my cousin Ropes (he is more a friend to me than a cousin) in Mumbai... he was in Informix ... Rupesh decided for me to put a BREAK and I quit my job... to start learning... UNIX and C...

Joined Uttar in Bangalore... the Unix and C school, there you meet so many people in this school for about an Year... and still have the same ENTHUASISUM to lern about Unix .. The joy of learning here is some thing I can never put it in words... and after 6 months you agin have to decide ... wheather to look for a Job or STILL continue learning... THIN LINE dilemma... is my knowledge enough to apply for the job or i still need to learn... it took me 8 months to start applying for job.

Finally had a Software Engineering Job, got into HP ...as a consultant from Canarys... and the learning curve start moving up... the first year was amazing... loved the place met the best people in life .. And than after two and a half year started thinking of jobs... it was a THIN LINE... to decide when to say I am GOOD ENOUGH to move out from HP Luckly the HP and COMPAQ merger acted as a catalyst to look for differnt jobs... it did not take toooo long to find a good job.

Joined present company ... was very impressed by the Manager who interviewed me... joined present project... it has been very exciting job... in financial industry ... Supporting the trading System for last one year ..Thinking that I have build career in finance industry plan to get back home...

When it is time to move back home. .offered a good and different role in the project, now I am in a DELIMA what to do... take up the new role and BUILD my finance career... or get back home with a good finance carreer in hand. .... When do you draw a LINE and say my career life is good enough and start concentrate on other things in LIFE...




4 Comments:

At October 27, 2005 9:17 AM, Blogger Rajendra K said...

Excellent!!
Picking up fast 'Dude' :-))

and seems you used the blogger add-in installed yesterday :)

Cheers,

 
At October 27, 2005 9:20 AM, Blogger Rajendra K said...

photo also visible now :)

 
At October 27, 2005 9:26 AM, Blogger sri said...

thin line? i am sure this is a view from close..however move closer(analyse), u will start seeing a thicker line!!
maybe that will make you take your decissions easily!

Else move farther where you dont see a line at all..make decissions as they come..lifes simpler!

 
At October 28, 2005 7:42 AM, Blogger Ajaya said...

Sri , I wish life was simpler .. just as We discusss life in Bangalore... Wish it was simpler :)

Kichi.. thanks YOU .. you inspried me to write Blogs ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE counter and Web statistics from sitetracker.com